The symposium will be supported by a reading group (for locals) beginning in May & leading up to the event in November.
Reading material will be determined by the group, although it is anticipated that we will read broadly across philosophy & psychoanalysis on the theme of “relationality.” Closer to the time of the symposium, we may also read selected works by our keynote speakers.
Frequency of meetings is to be decided by the group; I anticipate fortnightly to monthly gatherings.
First meeting of the reading group is Thurs, 28 May 2015 & to kick things off we will read Stephen Frosh’s “Recognising Others: Towards a Relational Ethics” (= Chapter 5 in Psychoanalysis Outside the Clinic).
*** Please contact me if you need a copy of any of the texts: firstname.lastname@example.org ***
All meetings take place at the following time & place (unless otherwise announced):
Time: 5pm – 7pm
Place: University of Otago, Dept of English & Linguistics, Burns Building (Level 1), Room 1W1, Albany St, Dunedin
- Thurs, 28 May 2015
- Stephen Frosh, “Recognising Others: Towards a Relational Ethics” (= Chapter 5 in Psychoanalysis Outside the Clinic).
- Weds, 17 June 2015
- Jean Laplanche, “The Drive and its Source-Object: its Fate in the Transference” (= Chapter 3 in Essays on Otherness).
- Weds, 1 July 2015
- 6.15pm-8pm (please note the slightly later starting time)
- Judith Butler, “Against Ethical Violence” (= Chapter 2 in Giving an Account of Oneself).
- Weds, 15 July 2015
- Judith Butler, “Precarious Life” (= Chapter 5 in Precarious Life: The Powers of Mourning and Violence).
- Thurs, 30 July 2015
- D. W. Winnicott, “The Capacity to Be Alone” (= Chapter 2 in The Maturational Processes and the Facilitating Environment).
- Weds, 12 Aug 2015
- D. W. Winnicott, “Ego Distortion in Terms of True and False Self” (= Chapter 12 in The Maturational Processes and the Facilitating Environment).
- Stephen A. Mitchell and Margaret J. Black, “The British Object Relations School: W. R. D. Fairbairn and D. W. Winnicott” (= Chapter 5 in Freud and Beyond: A History of Modern Psychoanalytic Thought).
- Weds, 26 Aug 2015 (4.30pm)
- Sandor Ferenczi, “Confusion of Tongues between Adults and the Child” (= Chapter 13 in Final Contributions to the Problems & Methods of Psycho-Analysis).
- Jay B. Frankel, “Ferenczi’s Trauma Theory.” American Journal of Psychoanalysis 58, 1 (1998): 41–61.
- Thurs, 9 Sept 2015
- Jody Messler Davies, “Linking the ‘Pre-Analytic’ with the Postclassical: Integration, Dissociation, and the Multiplicity of Unconscious Process.” Contemporary Psychoanalysis 32, 4 (1996): 553–576.
- Elizabeth F. Howell, “The Interpersonal and Relational Traditions: Sullivan, Bromberg, Davies and Frawley-O’Dea, and Stern.” (= Chapter 4 in The Dissociative Mind).
- Weds, 23 Sept 2015
- David M. Goodman and Brian W. Becker, “Trauma as Violent Awakening.” (= Chapter 9 in Psychotherapy for the Other: Levinas & the Face-to-Face Relationship, ed. Kevin C. Krycka, George Kunz and George G. Sayre).
- David M. Goodman, “Hearing ‘Thou Shall Not Kill’ When All the Evidence is to the Contrary: Psychoanalysis, Enactment, and Jewish Ethics.” (= Chapter 5 in Answering a Question with a Question: Contemporary Psychoanalysis and Jewish Thought, ed. Lewis Aron and Libby Henik).
- Sun, 4 Oct 2015 (yes: Sunday!)
- Emmanuel Levinas, “Substitution.” (= Chapter 5 in Basic Philosophical Writings, ed. Adriaan T. Peperzak, Simon Critchley and Robert Bernasconi).
- Robert Bernasconi, “What is the Question to which ‘Substitution’ is the Answer?” (= Chapter 11 in The Cambridge Companion to Levinas, ed. Simon Critchley and Robert Bernasconi).
- Weds, 28 Oct 2015
- Maurice Merleau-Ponty, “The Child’s Relations with Others” (= Chapter 4 in The Primacy of Perception).
- Rosalyn Diprose, “Corporeal Interdependence: From Vulnerability to Dwelling in Ethical Community.” SubStance 42, 3 (2013): 185–204.
- Weds, 11 Nov 2015
- OPEN DISCUSSION on “relationality”